Why Visit Dublin?
The Irish capital is a city steeped in history and famous for both its incredible culture and renowned nightlife. Often recognized as a party town, Dublin is not only popular with tourists looking for a drunken weekend but with all groups including families, as the city also offers an eclectic abundance of activities.
With so much to see and do, there are so many experiences suitable for all ages and families will find plenty on offer to stay entertained and occupy the little ones. Without further adieu, here are the top ten experiences for families to enjoy while visiting Dublin!
Visit Malahide Castle and Gardens
Malahide Castle’s grounds and gardens are the perfect destination for some outdoor exploration. Hire a bike or wander through this beautiful location to discover stunning hidden spots. The castle grounds offer various events throughout the year to keep your little ones entertained including fairy trails, Halloween events and Santa’s grotto. Also, don’t miss the butterfly house or the playground at the center of the gardens!
Price: From €7.50 adults, €4 children and under 3’s visit free
Hours: Daily 9:30am-5:30pm
Book online at https://www.malahidecastleandgardens.ie/
Explore Dublin Castle
Over 800 years of Irish history is held within the walls of Dublin Castle. Dublin Castle spans eleven acres offering both guided and self-guided tours through the rooms, gardens and museums. The tours allow the opportunity to enjoy beautiful architecture and fascinating history within the magnificent structure that has been witness to incredible events. Meanwhile, children can participate in fun activities throughout the castle with a fun, educational element.
Hours: Daily 9:45am-5:15pm
Book online at https://www.dublincastle.ie/
Day trip to Cliffs of Moher
The Cliffs of Moher are one of the most stunning areas of the Republic of Ireland. Just a short distance from Dublin, the Cliffs of Moher is a natural wonder and a breathtaking landscape to witness. If your little one is a Harry Potter fan, they will also love the trip to Cliffs of Moher. The area has been a popular filming location for blockbuster movies including Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince as the area where Harry and Dumbledore search for a horcrux.
Price: Free to visit but excursion prices vary
Hours: 24/7 but excursion times vary
Book a day trip through a variety of tour operators including Viator or hire a car and self-drive
Find more information online at https://www.cliffsofmoher.ie
Spend a day at the beach
Whilst beaches are not usually associated with the Irish capital, beautiful sandy spots surround Dublin. The beaches of Dublin offer phenomenal scenery, historical ruins and are a great place to enjoy water sports. Balcarrick is a beach that offers it all, the perfect spot for canoeing whilst also featuring calm rock pools, sand dunes to explore and a stunning coastal walking route. Meanwhile, Dollymount Strand is a popular beach for kite surfing and paddle boarding whilst also being a great place to grab a drink or bite to eat with numerous renowned establishments on the boardwalk.
Take a Viking Splash Tour
A boat trip is always a fun family day out and not only does the Viking Splash Tour travel past iconic landmarks and historic monuments but the tour is also entertaining for all the family. Board the amphibious vehicle, take to the waters of Grand Canal Basin, discover Viking heritage through exciting tales and learn how to roar like a Viking all whilst sporting the fetching Viking cone hat.
Price: From €25 adults and €13 children. Not suitable for children under two.
Hours: Daily from 10am
Book online at https://www.familyfun.ie/viking-splash-tours/
Discover the world of Imaginosity
Dublin’s Imaginosity is a perfect family day out and will keep youngsters entertained at this interactive museum dedicated to visitors aged nine and under. Allowing kids to learn through play, Imaginosity features numerous exciting exhibitions including The Art Studio, Cyber Room and Theatre Space.
Price: €8 adults and children aged 3+, €6 toddlers and €2 babies
Hours: Open daily, hours vary
Book online at http://www.imaginosity.ie/
Temporary Closed. Check their website for updates on opening date.
Enjoy a splashing day out at AquaZone
A day at the water park is always fun for all the family but with the unpredictable Irish weather, indoors is the place to head and AquaZone is suitable for even a rainy day. With mini slides for the little ones, adrenaline rides for the older children and a lazy river for adults to escape the madness, AquaZone offers a splashing good time for all the family.
Price: From €6 adults, €4 children and under 3’s go free
Hours: Daily 10am-6pm
Book online at https://www.aquazone.ie/
Temporary Closed. Check their website for updates on opening date.
Stroll through Phoenix Park
Located in downtown Dublin, the vast Phoenix Park spans over 1700 acres and sits within walled grounds. The park is one of the largest public parks across Europe, home to a herd of over 600 deer and offers numerous cycling trails throughout the park as well as bike hire. The extraordinary park features incredible monuments to find, vast sports fields for a ball game and endless greenery to enjoy a family picnic.
Price: Free (zoo admission is an additional charge)
Shrink in size at The National Leprechaun Museum
If you’re looking for magical and whimsical fun, The National Leprechaun Museum is the place for all the family. Enter the world of Irish mythology by shrinking down to the size of fairies and leprechauns in this fun, interactive experience. Explore your imagination, discover magical Irish tales and snap some photos of your family whilst the size of a thimble.
Price: €16 adults and €10 children aged 7+
Hours: Thursday to Monday 10am-6:30pm
Book online at http://www.leprechaunmuseum.ie/
Meet the animals at Dublin Zoo
At home in Phoenix Park, Dublin Zoo is one of Ireland’s top tourist attractions and home to a wild variety of magnificent animals, birds and sea life. Your family can discover and meet over 400 exotic animals from across the world within the African Savanna, Gorilla Rainforest and other exciting habitats. The zoo also has a huge conservation programme and provides phenomenal education and activities within the Discovery and Learning Center.
Price: €17.75 adults, €13.05 children and under 3’s visit free but still require a ticket for entry
Hours: Daily 9:30am-7:30pm
Book online at https://www.dublinzoo.ie/
Cities can be just as fun and exploration-worthy as some of the more popular family destinations. Dublin is one of those adventures worth taking with the entire family and it will certainly not disappoint. Follow this guide to help keep it light and fun for any age!
Oh, and please be sure to check out the Covid-19 Travel Advisory for the United States of America and Ireland, prior to planning any international travel. Stay safe and happy travels!
Subscribe Today For Future Travel Posts
Want More Travel Ideas? Check out our other Travel Articles Here
- The Most Incredible Experiences of Kyotoby Travels with Matt – “My name is Matt and I love to both travel and write about it. I currently live in Tampa, Florida, and have traveled quite a bit over the years, both inside the United States and to Japan several times.” @travelswithmattblog One of the best trips I have ever taken was […]
- Dublin For FamiliesWhy Visit Dublin? The Irish capital is a city steeped in history and famous for both its incredible culture and renowned nightlife. Often recognized as a party town, Dublin is not only popular with tourists looking for a drunken weekend but with all groups including families, as the city also offers an eclectic abundance of […]
- The Ultimate Honeymoon to Seville, SpainHow to Honeymoon in Seville by Keira Shepherd Keira is a UK mummy, travel lover, and writer who currently lives in France with her partner and 3-year-old daughter. Before pursuing a career as a freelance writer and settling into family life, she lived and worked in Asia as a scuba diving instructor and yoga teacher. […]
- Plan the Ultimate Family Trip to Koh Tao, Thailandby Keira Shepherd Keira is a UK mummy, travel lover, and writer who currently lives in France with her partner and 3-year-old daughter. Before pursuing a career as a freelance writer and settling into family life, she lived and worked in Asia as a scuba diving instructor and yoga teacher. You can visit her website […]
- The Ultimate Family Trip to Alexandria, VirginiaIf you’re hoping to take a family trip to Alexandria, Virginia in the coming months, we’ve got it all mapped out for you! Create the ultimate family trip with our handpicked selection of experiences, restaurants, and hotels that will help to make your time here even more memorable. Located 15 minutes from Washington DC, there’s […]